Friday 13 July 2012

Friday I-Wish-I-Were-There (Whistle Stop Cafe, Georgia)


Welcome to my Friday I-Wish-I-Were-There Blog.

Today I’m taking a slow, easy ride down into the Deep South to Juliette, Gerogia, the filming location of one of my favourite movies (and favourite books), “Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Café.”




Highlights:

Being Starstruck. If you’ve seen the movie then you’ll know what I mean when I say it is a special moment to pull up outside the Whistle Stop café. It looks almost exactly the way I remember it from the big screen. We arrived there late on a Saturday afternoon, so unfortunately most of the little shops lining the main street of Juliette were closed.


Bear. I have no idea if that is his real name, but Bear, who worked at one of the ancient antique come souvenir shop was a real character and I enjoyed my brief conversation with him.

Atmosphere. There certainly is one when you have a meal inside the café. We loved the funky jars used as glasses for the kid’s sodas. And it was nice to just kick back and relax with our meal – and the fact that the café only had one other table of customers.


Fried Green Tomatoes. Yeah, I know it’s a cliché, but c’mon, you can’t eat at the Whistle Stop without trying a plateful! And they were yummy!


The accents. Oh I love the Southern accent – thank goodness the lovely waitress was female and not a sexy Southerner with tight jeans and a ‘good ol’ boy’ smile, or I might’ve melted to a puddle at his feet.

The BBQ pit. Had to see it. Had to buy the t-shirt: “The secret’s in the sauce…” Just had to.


The Porch. A rocking chair, a warm Southern evening with the sound of a train in the distance. Bliss.


All I can say is: I wanna go back for another helping of Fried Green Tomatoes!

Tracey

No comments:

Post a Comment