Friday 6 July 2012

Friday I-Wish-I-Were-There (Washington D.C)



Welcome to my Friday I-Wish-I-Were-There Blog.


Since it was Independence Day earlier in the week, today I’m going to visit Washington D.C, a fascinating, beautiful, and memorable city. 


Highlights:
Walking the Mall. Lush green grass and some of America’s most famous monuments. Eye-popping stuff.

Air and Space Museum. A bloke’s paradise. Thought they (husband and son) were never going to want to leave. The Museum of American History had a small display there which my daughter and I enjoyed – seeing Abraham Lincoln’s hat, Kermit the frog, George Washington's sword & uniform, and R2D2 & 3PO (from Star Wars).

The White House. Only seen from the outside, and the cops with guns across the road made me a *little* nervous.



Squirrels. I admit it. I had more fun making weird clucky noises at this squirrel (who probably thought I was a very large nut) than posing for a photo by the White House.




Washington Monument. Well worth the trip to the very top as the views were spectacular. Also cool – the Park Ranger letting my daughter press the lift button and making everyone applaud for her! Plus you’ve gotta take the mandatory ‘propping-up-the-monument’ photo, no matter how dorky you look doing it.


Lincoln Memorial. Crowded with tourists, but it is a beautiful place. What our family found was if you wandered around to the back of the memorial it was actually quite peaceful sitting on the huge marble steps.

The Reflecting Pool. Although it was green and covered in Canadian goose poop, it was still neat seeing it for real. All I needed to hear instead of the murmur of tourists to make my little fantasy complete was someone yelling “Forrest! Forrest!”

Vietnam Memorial Wall. How could you walk past this and not have your heart broken for all the lives lost? It certainly made me cry.


Next time we’re in Washington D.C, we’re going to check out more of this fabulous city – hopefully without two tired kids in tow!

Tracey

No comments:

Post a Comment