Wednesday 18 July 2012

A Fascination with Fairy Tales


Last night I watched one of my favorite movies, ‘Ever After’, starring Drew Barrymore. It started me thinking about why some of the movies I love the most, and enjoying watching over and over, are based on some of my childhood favorites—fairy tales. Cinderella, Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, and Rapunzel, were stories I read constantly. I’d daydream about the handsome prince, and before I moved onto chapter books (and sometimes even afterwards), I’d sigh over the gorgeous color illustrations of the character’s gowns.


But it was the heart of the story, I think, that kept me returning for more. The fight of the ordinary girl, the underdog, who captured the heart of the prince. Of course she was beautiful, but somehow she was more. She was different and she was special, and the prince couldn’t help but instantly fall in love. Not much like the reality of dating, and dealing with the stream of Mr. Wrongs. And this is where the modern take on the old fairy tales hooks me.

In ‘Enchanted’, Patrick Dempsey’s character, the cynical Robert, has to explain to the dreamy Giselle about the practicalities of ‘dating’. The movie shows us how the two fall in love – nothing instantaneous here, in fact Robert thinks Giselle is nuts to begin with. There is no perfect fairytale world for Giselle in New York city – and the twist on the helpful little forest creatures is a hoot!


In ‘Ever After’ Danielle is a girl ahead of her time, she knows her mind and has the guts to scold the Prince of France—not to mention a lethal aim with apples. And yet she wonders how the gulf between them can ever be breached—“A bird may love a fish, signore, but where will they live?” Of course there is a happy ending where the Prince declares his love: I kneel before you not as a prince, but as a man in love... But I would feel like a king if you, Danielle De Barbarac, would be my wife.” Awww. Swoon.


Tangled” has another heroine who is both sympathetic, innocent and strong at the same time. Flynn Rider, the roguish, endearing hero, is the underdog who ends up winning the heart of the princess. There is witty banter, slapstick humor and let’s not forget Flynn’s ‘smolder’. Flynn had to suffer a few hard knocks before he discovered true love in this movie.


Wishing you your very own ‘Happy Ever After’!

Tracey

What I’m reading this week: “Lip Service” by Susan Mallery. With a hot but injured SEAL and a feisty red-haired heroine, is it any wonder this book starts off with a bang! (And in more ways than one).


What I’m watching this week: Ever After. 


This week’s favorite quote: “When I examine myself and my methods of thought, I come to the conclusion that the gift of fantasy has meant more to me than any talent for abstract, positive thinking.” ― Albert Einstein


Hot guy of the week: “Come here, baby. I’ll tell you a bedtime story…”

2 comments:

  1. You won't believe this but Ever After is one of my favorite movies...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember talking to you about it, Julieann - and the bit where Jacqueline says, "I'm only here for the food." Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete