Wednesday 8 August 2012

Of Vampires and Pirates...


This week I attended an author talk with Charlaine Harris, author of the Sookie Stackhouse/vampire books – or more commonly known as ‘The True Blood books’, since the TV show of same name became hugely popular. While I’ve never watched an episode of True Blood, I have read a couple of Charlaine’s books in another series and the first Sookie Stackhouse novel (the rest are in my massive to-be-read pile). And anyway, how often does a NYT best-selling author come to little old Wellington, New Zealand? So me and two of my writer friends jumped at the opportunity to hear her talk.


Charlaine was a most entertaining and approachable speaker, and at the risk of sounding trite, she had a gorgeous Southern accent that I could’ve listened to for hours. I had a private wager with myself how long it would take a member of the audience to ask that all-time favorite author question, “So where do you get your ideas?” It didn’t take long. But instead of clawing at her cheeks or rolling her eyes, Charlaine answered most graciously. And more eloquently than what my reply would’ve been: “Er. I dunno.”

The funniest part of the talk for me, and be aware I have a dark sense of humor, was when a member of the audience asked Charlaine a question about her latest book, ‘Deadlocked’ and in the process, dropped in a massive plot spoiler. There was an ominous rumble through the audience, followed by howls of outrage. Classic doh! Moment. Whoops! Fortunately I have the memory of a goldfish, and approximately ten more Sookie books to read before I hit ‘Deadlocked’, so I wasn’t overly perturbed by the woman’s lack of foresight.

After Charlaine’s talk there was a book signing opportunity and the queue that goes with a NYT best-selling author. My writer friends and I were discussing romance books, and a young lady in front of us kept interrupting our conversation—which was fine, writers are on the whole voracious readers and love discussing books. She was also interested to hear we were all members of the Romance Writers of New Zealand and were working on our own books. However, the temperature of our little chat got suddenly frosty when she mentioned how she frequently downloaded big name author’s ‘free’ e-books (on some sites which I won’t repeat) when she couldn’t afford to buy them. One of my friends sharply pointed out, “That’s piracy and you’re ripping off authors.” I stood open-mouthed in outrage (and wishing my brain worked faster so I could’ve come up with that gem first).

I’m a reader, and also a writer, but even knowing firsthand the years of blood, sweat and the often little monetary remuneration that go into producing a book, (especially a first book) not being a writer is a weak excuse for ignorance. Anyone with enough brain cells to read a 90,000 word novel can comprehend that it took effort to create. Effort that deserves respect and payment for the privilege of reading that work. And just because the author is earning big bucks as a NYT bestseller, that author still has to keep her butt in the chair working for hours and hours to produce the goods. It’s one thing to snag a freebie read off a writer’s official website or take advantage of an advertising ploy of a free read on Amazon, it’s totally different to patronize an obvious pirate site.

So people who pirate, don’t say how you LOVE this author and ADORE that author, show your loyalty by paying them for the hours of pleasure they provide.

Hopping down from my soapbox now! Have a great week. :0)

Tracey.

What I’m reading this week: Cutting Loose – Susan Anderson. First time I’ve encountered a redheaded hero since Diana Gabaldon’s Jamie Fraser…!

What I’m watching this week: Rambo. A young Sylvester Stallone? Mmmm, tasty.

This week’s favorite quote: “There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed.” – Ernest Hemmingway.

Hot guy of the week: Joe Magliano from True Blood.

No comments:

Post a Comment