Wednesday 30 January 2013

A Day at the Races


Call me strange, but at age forty-mumble, I’ve never been to the races. Last Saturday I had my first experience of the thrill of the horses at the Pacific Jewellers Wellington Cup. Of course, to go to one of the biggest race days of the year, it’s almost expected, nay demanded that women dress like flocks of flashy birds of paradise (complete with feathery fascinators). Considering there was only one dress residing in my wardrobe, I figured that since we were going on the invitation of my husband’s new employer, it was time for shopping trip. If you read my last blog about Bangkok, you’ll have gathered my feelings on the matter of retail therapy. By the time I’d tried on at least ten dresses I was a basket case – especially when I ended up buying the first dress I tried on. Isn’t that often the way? So, a flash dress purchased and the makings of a fascinator to which I utilized my limited craft skills in applying fiddly feathers to a tiny woven circle with the gluggy mess of a glue gun …and I was ready to go.




Wellington on a summer’s day can’t be beat, and Cup Day was no exception – it was a purler of a day. My husband’s company had an amazing marque right by the track finish line and we were spoilt rotten with the delicious buffet lunch. The real buzz was seeing so many gorgeous thoroughbred racehorses in one area – oh, how I wanted a pretty dappled grey one (even though he came nearly last in his race). We had a small flutter on the horses – with my husband’s picks coming in the top 3, and sadly Savour the Moment, Lovetessa, and Hell Yeah (picked for their cool names, of course!) coming in waaaay at the back of the thundering herd. But aren’t they magnificent to watch? And so exciting to see them galloping toward the finish line – I couldn’t help but get caught up in the excitement of the crowd. However, the last race I bet on a lovely dappled grey mare called London Dream, and unbelievably, the wee beauty won – and I was $60 richer! Luckily I don’t have a gambler’s heart and I quickly tucked my notes into my bag to shout hubby and I to the ‘Les Miserables’ movie Saturday night!






Funniest experience at the races? Watching made-up-to-the-max young ladies strut on their 6 inch high heels out of the racecourse gates, only to quickly remove them to stagger off barefoot, bemoaning their aching feet. Two words for you girls: Kitten heels.

Tracey

What I’m reading this week: You don’t want to know – Lisa Jackson. First book I’ve read of Ms. Jackson and I think I’ll be going back for more. So suspenseful, it’s hard to read more than a few chapters at a time!

What I’m watching this week: Grey’s Anatomy. Next week is the season finale and I have a really, really bad feeling after watching the trailer for it. There’ll be hell to pay if they kill off any of my favourite characters. Just saying.

This week’s favorite quote: The profession of book writing makes horse racing seem like a solid, stable business. John Steinbeck.

Hot guy of the week: Personally, I don’t find jockey’s sexy – but cowboys? Now that’s a whole different matter. Like they say, “Save a horse, ride a cowboy…”

No comments:

Post a Comment