Wednesday 20 June 2012

Hey baby, I think I wanna marry you...


For a while now on shows like ‘Mobbed’ and websites like You-tube, brave men of all ages have organized (or been part of) flamboyant marriage proposals. I would say men and women, but I’ve yet to see a clip where a woman proposes (why not, girls?).
So should every woman have a flash mob, marching band or a specially made mini-movie made for that (hopefully) once in a lifetime experience? I can’t speak for every woman, but for me, I would hate it. I won’t embarrass my poor husband by describing his 'suggestion' we get married—I can’t honestly say it was a proposal, as such—nearly 17 years ago, but he did know and love me enough to realize that a public spectacle was not something I’d appreciate.
As a writer I try to imagine the kind of marriage proposal that suits the hero’s style, but which demonstrates that the hero knows the sort of woman the heroine is. Is she a candlelit dinner and roses type? A hold-out-a-ring-box-while-sky-diving type? Or a lazy Sunday morning, breakfast in bed, with the ring hidden in a croissant type?
Whatever type of proposal the hero makes in my favorite romances (and in real life) it should be because he’s found the love of his life and he’s willing to look like the world’s biggest fool if that’s what it takes to get the girl of his dreams to say, “Yes!”
I hope you enjoy the below clips.
Tracey

What I’m reading this week: ‘City of Bones’ and ‘City of Glass’ by Cassandra Clare. I’m really enjoying this YA series. Cassandra’s done a great job of hooking me into her storyworld.

What I’m watching this week: Sense and Sensibility, with Emma Thompson, Hugh Grant, Kate Winslet and Alan Rickman. Alan Rickman is quite dashing as the Col. Christopher Brandon, I have to admit. And oh, the subtle but brilliant romance…someone pass me the tissues!

This week’s favorite quote: “My most brilliant achievement was my ability to be able to persuade my wife to marry me” Winston S. Churchill

Hot guy of the week: Alan Rickman – yeah, I know it’s an old photo, but he’s pretty damn fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment