Friday 29 June 2012

Friday I-Wish-I-Were-There (Ahipara, NZ)


Welcome to my Friday I-Wish-I-Were-There Blog.

Today I’m going home—not to Wellington, but to the place I still call home in the Far North of New Zealand. Home is where the heart is, right? Well, the Far North with its beautiful beaches and wild acres of un-spoilt native bush is where my heart will always return to.

Highlights:
Ahipara. The quintessential little Kiwi beach village and a great place to grab some ‘Fish n’ Chips’ or an ice-cream cone before hitting the sand.

Ninety Mile Beach. Actually it’s 55 miles long (88km) but who’s counting. This gorgeous and sometimes barren beach stretches from Ahipara Bay to Reef Point, and some of the dunes lining it are perfect for bodyboarding. Also a very popular spot with fishing fanatics.




The Ahipara Gumfields. Rich in history and dating back into the last century when digging for Kauri gum brought thousands of people into the area, I enjoyed setting my second book, ‘Dangerous Exposure’ here.

Friends and Family. We have both in this area, and it’s always wonderful to spend time with them.

Peace and quiet. In our little house surrounded by native bush, there’s only the sound of the wind and the song of birds in the trees. A wonderful place for a writer. I’m even brave enough to include a photo of me seventeen years ago writing. The second photo is the view from our front deck.


As Dorothy in the ‘Wizard of Oz’ said, “There’s no place like home.”

Tracey

No comments:

Post a Comment