Thursday 17 May 2012

Welcome to my very first blog! :-)


If the first sentence of the first paragraph of the first chapter is excruciating to write, why did I think writing my first blog entry would be a piece of cake? Go figure. Since I’m a newbie blog writer, go easy on me. I promise not to waffle on.

So firstly, welcome. Great start, Trace, you’re repeating yourself already. No really. I’m glad you’re willing to give me a few moments of your valuable time.

I’ve been thinking about time these last few days. It’s been an eventful year for me so far. Two months ago my mother passed away unexpectedly and my world was tipped on its ear. Mum hadn’t been in the best of health for a long time, but it was still a shock to become half an orphan at forty years old. Time ticking past while keeping a bedside vigil is an experience I’m likely to remember for many years to come. And the time since that day seems to exist in a Twilight zone of being eons ago, and only yesterday, simultaneously.

There’s never enough time spent with those we love, is there? Just one more week with my family travelling around the U.S.A in our fifth-wheel caravan. Just one more day playing ‘Barbie's’ with my daughter who’s just decided she’s too old to play dolls with her mum. Just one more hour spent with my now teenage son when he was a gorgeous four-year-old who would beg me to play toy cars with him for just ‘five minutes longer, mummy’. Just one more minute to get a talcum-power-and-lavender-scented hug from my mum, something I didn’t do on the day before she died.
Time is fleeting, so let every second spent with someone you love, count.


Tracey.


What I’m reading this week: Dearly Departed – Lia Habel. A young adult steampunk/zombie book – a rollicking good read so far.

What I’m watching this week: The Deep. A classic movie, and who knew Nick Nolte was kinda cute so many years ago…


This week’s favorite quote: “The only absolute, foolproof, unbreakable rule, for which you’ll never find an exception, is never be boring on the page.” Karl Iglesias, from ‘Writing for Emotional Impact’.


No comments:

Post a Comment