Wednesday 30 May 2012

A Kindred Soul.


Last week I met a little boy from Iraq who’s in my eleven-year-old daughter’s class at school. Now, normally I don’t go for the Sheik-types, but this kid was ADORABLE. In the interest of not hearing an outraged and embarrassed ‘Oh Muuum!’ from my daughter, I’ll call this little cutie, ‘Bob’. Walking toward the field where the annual cross-country race was about to take place, Bob and I had our first conversation. It went something like this:
Bob: How many laps of the field do you think we have to do?
Me: 2 or 3, I think.
Bob: That many? (Dramatically flings arms wide) I’ll die if I have to run that far! I don’t wanna die.
Me: You’ll be fine, Bob.
Bob: But people die all the time when they’re running. 3 whole laps! I’m going to pass out and then I’ll die.
Me: No you won’t. Young people don’t die running, only old people. You’ll be fine.
Bob: (Ten brownie points to the kid for not pointing out that I’m old—oldish) Well, what about the really little kids? They can’t run that far.
Me: Probably not, so they’ll run as far as they can.
Bob: And then what? They’ll fall down and die?
Me: (Really trying not to collapse in very immature giggles) No, Bob. Then they’ll just continue to walk.
Bob: Oh. (Looks up) It’s really hot today. I might get sunburned.
Me: Hmmm. Maybe.
Bob: I hope I don’t get sunburned. I might get skin cancer. How do you get skin cancer?
I was a total goner by this point…
My husband is always telling me I must enjoy worrying since I seem to do it so much. No wonder I felt a connection with this kid. And he is so going to turn up as a character in one of my books!


Tracey


What I’m reading this week: Dead Radiance – T. G Ayer, a very talented New Zealand YA author. Ayer has swept me away into her world of Valkyries and so far I’m enjoying the ride—Whoo-hoo!


What I’m watching this week: The Fugitive. Another oldie, but goodie. Harrison Ford and Tommy Lee Jones are brilliant together. Classic line: Kimble: I didn’t kill my wife! Gerard: I. Don’t. Care.


This week’s favorite quote: I'm not afraid to die. I just don't want to be there when it happens. Woody Allen.


Hot guy of the week: Sorry I can’t post a picture of ‘Bob’, so Andrew Lincoln as Rick Grimes will have to do instead. Zombie Killer, seriously hot bod and a man in uniform (not to mention the hat, I looove the hat). If there’s ever a Zombie Apocalypse, Rick’s my man.



No comments:

Post a Comment