Wednesday 19 December 2012

Tis the Season to be Jolly...Or Is It?


I lost track of the days this week. For some reason by brain said, “It’s only Tuesday, you can squeeze writing your Wednesday blog in between the twelve-year-old’s school prize giving and the ever-growing to-do list for our trip to Thailand in less than two weeks.” Then, hello, I realized it was Wednesday morning, not Tuesday morning after all. Crud. Because I have no idea what to blog about. So bear with, I’m spinning this off the top of my head.

So. Christmas is less than a week away and like everyone else, we’ve been doing the mad rush of shopping, Christmas functions, end-of-year BBQs, school events, Nativity plays etc etc. My tinsel’s kinda lost its sparkle.

Christmas always used to be my favourite time of the year. Love the decorations, the surprise and wonder of it all, and coming up with cutesy tricks to play on the two kids (like magic jellybeans in the letterbox that if planted on Christmas Eve amazingly turn into candy canes by the next morning). My mum also loved Christmas. In fact, she wouldn’t let us take the Christmas tree down until late January, and probably would’ve been quite happy to have it up all year. But mum passed away in February. And like a lot of families this year, Christmas will never be the same.

How do we get through that first Christmas without them? I’m taking a leaf out of Bear Gryll’s motivational speech from a couple of weeks ago: Family, Faith and Friendship. I’m going to stick close to my remaining loved ones, remember the baby placed in a humble manger 2000 years ago, and appreciate each and every one of my friends.

Have a wonderful Christmas, and if you too have lost someone near and dear during 2012, a special hug from me to you.

Tracey.

What I’m reading this week: Animal Attraction – Jill Shalvis. I need my to-go to author for a comfort read. Distraction guaranteed. 

What I’m watching this week: Comedy Gala stuff. Love stand-up comedy – it truly is the best medicine.

This week’s favourite quote: “Maybe Christmas, he thought, doesn’t come from a store. Maybe  Christmas…perhaps…means a little bit more.” How the Grinch Stole Christmas - Dr Seuss.





No comments:

Post a Comment