Wednesday 28 November 2012

Happy Anniversary, baby!


Sunday the 25th November marked the day that I said “I do,” to love, honor and some other nice thing that didn’t involve obeying (the actual word blanked out of my memory) 17 years ago. My husband, Fred, also agreed to do those nice things when put on the spot by the celebrant. Clever man.


This year it was my turn to organize how we’d celebrate our 17th Wedding anniversary, and I’m afraid to admit I wasn’t that creative - dinner at a Thai restaurant and the new James Bond movie afterwards - but surely I get brownie points for not making him suffer through 'Breaking Dawn' which was the only other option.

But to make up for my shortfalling (and okay, I did have the excuse that this year we are on a very strict budget) I’ll tell you about the single most romantic thing my husband did for our 15th Wedding anniversary.

I’ve mentioned previously that I love the TV series ‘The Amazing Race’ – mainly because I love to travel. Once afternoon in early October 2010 Fred handed me a new travel mug—“For your coffee addiction,” he said. Checking it out I found a scrap of paper with a cryptic clue on it sending me to our bedroom where I found another clue, which then led me on a paper trail around the house and even to our church where he’d taped a clue to the underside of the altar (the pastor thought my frustrated mutterings hilarious while I scrambled around trying to find it). The last scrap of paper directed me to our local dairy where I had to ask the owner for the next clue. It was at that point that I nearly baulked and almost said foggetaboudit. Reclaiming my sense of humour, I asked the snickering dairy owner for the clue and she handed me an envelope. Inside were two airline tickets. I must’ve been having a blonde moment, because as I walked home I couldn’t quite compute what this meant.

It wasn’t until I saw my husband’s grinning face that I finally twigged. O.M.G we were flying to Sydney, Australia THE NEXT DAY! Wanna know the first words out of my mouth after that? Not, “Oh thank-you darling, I love you, I love you, mwah!” Nup. I bleated the cry of universal womanhood—“I haven’t got anything to wear!” 

Nonetheless, we did make it to Sydney the next day. But that wasn’t my only surprise. After checking into the hotel room, I turned around to see a tiny box with a bow on the bed. Inside the box was a note telling me that we were going shopping—engagement ring shopping. You see earlier that year one of the stones in my original engagement ring fell out, and when we took it to a jeweller we discovered that 15 years ago we’d been ripped off. The diamonds were in fact zirconias, and the ring was worthless. So as well as treating me to the fabulous musical ‘Fame’ and a bus tour around Sydney, my darling husband bought me a sparkly new ring.

I’d love to hear about what the most romantic thing you’ve done for someone, or someone has done for you!

Tracey

What I’m reading this week: Welcome to Temptation - Jennifer Crusie. Full of quirky characters and laugh out loud moments.

What I’m watching this week: Skyfall. Believe it or not, my very first James Bond movie - loved it! (Though I admit watching Daniel Craig strut his hot-bod around was part of the reason).

This week’s favorite quote: “A marriage anniversary is the celebration of love, trust, partnership, tolerance and tenacity. The order varies for any given year.”

Hot guy of the week: Daniel Craig. A.K.A Bond, James Bond. :-)



No comments:

Post a Comment