Tuesday 13 November 2012

Foot-in-mouth Disease


Just a short blog today, as by midday today, my daughter and I will be winging our way to Auckland to see the stage show, “Mary Poppins.” (More on that in Friday’s blog where I’ll spill the beans about how fabulous it was).

And this isn’t just any ordinary let’s-take-a-trip-to-Auckland. Oh, no. This is an all expenses paid extravaganza, thanks to Air New Zealand. You see I was fortunate enough to be one of the winners in a competition run earlier in the year: flights, accommodation and tickets to the show for two, plus morning tea with the two stars Mary and Bert (a.k.a Rachel Wallace and Matt Lee).

And it’s this morning tea which is the topic of my rather panicky blog. Foot-in-mouth disease. It happens to the best of us, and I’m just praying I’m not struck down with it tomorrow morning when I get to meet these two incredible singers/dancers/actors. Usually I can avoid this embarrassing disorder by simply doing what I do best—keeping my mouth tightly shut. However, when part of a prize package involves ‘meeting the stars’, there’s an implication and an expectation that we will actually have to converse with said stars. I can tell you right now that my eleven-year-old daughter won’t be much help, because she’ll likely be even more star-struck.

With this in mind I’m compiling a list of safe, small talk topics: the weather, isn’t New Zealand beautiful, yes we’ve seen a show on Broadway—but not as wonderful as Mary Poppins, (brilliant avoidance of foot-in-mouth there, eh?!), New York’s amazing, and oh, yes, Australia’s quite nice too (for Matt’s benefit, being from the wrong-side of the ditch, NOT that I’ll mention it, of course).

I’ll let you know how I get on,

Tracey.

What I’m reading this week: Animal Magnetism – Jill Shalvis. Puppies, pigs and a duck called Abigail, plus a really hot and wild hero, how could I not LOVE this book?

What I’m watching this week: Seven Days. Hilarious and totally non-PC New Zealand humor. Fantastic stuff.

This week’s favorite quote: That's a piecrust promise. Easily made, easily broken. ~Mary Poppins.

Hot guy of the week: Stephen Amell from the new TV series ‘Arrow’. No more words, have fried keyboard with copious amounts of drool.

No comments:

Post a Comment