Wednesday 6 February 2013

Make em’ Laugh, Make em’ Cry.


How is it that some writers and film-makers can make us feel things even when we don’t want to? They suck us into their story world and into the lives of their characters, and the next thing we know we’re right there with these characters feeling their hurts, cheering on their triumphs and wishing the movie or book would never end. We become invested in these imaginary lives.

This week I saw ‘Les Miserables’ on the big screen. I’ve never been to the Broadway show, but I have seen some very talented teenagers perform the musical in a fabulous school production. I’d been pre-warned the movie was a tear jerker—but after all, I knew how the story ended so I thought  remaining staunch would be a piece of cake. Not so. By the end of the movie I had surreptitiously gone through a number of tissues and I had to breathe through my mouth as to not give the game away by constantly sniffing.

You see, Hugo Victor’s story of mercy and redemption made me overlook the fact that this was only a movie. After a while I forgot the cast were Academy award winning actors and actresses. I didn’t think about the cameras and sound crews and stuntmen. After a while I didn’t notice that everyone sang their lines or wonder if 19th century France really looked like that. For 157 minutes I was transported to the world of the unforgettable Jean Valjean, the fanatical Javert, and the tragic Fantine. I felt their pain, their struggles, their sacrifices. And I didn’t want to leave their world so soon after I’d found it.

I sat in the theatre as the credits rolled, listening to the sniffs, and watching people quickly swipe tears from their cheeks. “This,” I thought to myself, “This is the effect I want my stories to have on my readers.” 

Something to aim for, hmm?

Tracey.

What I’m reading this week: Manslation – Jeff Mac. If you’ve ever wondered how to decode the secret language of men, this book might help. It’s also damn funny!

What I’m watching this week: Final episode of Grey’s Anatomy Season 8 – another tear jerker!

This week’s favorite quote: Sung, from the ‘Les Miserables’ movie: Take my hand and lead me to salvation. Take my love for love is everlasting. And remember, the truth that once was spoken, to love another person is to see the face of God.

Hot guy of the week: Eddie Redmayne, who plays the character Marius in Les Miserables.



No comments:

Post a Comment